- Agogino, A.M. 2004. Enhancing Interoperability of Collections and Services. Final Report, December 2004. NSF Award DUE-0127580. Available from http://best.me.berkeley.edu/%7Eaagogino/papers/Final_Report_SMETE.pdf
- Almasy, Edward. 2005. Tools for Creating Your Own Resource Portal: CWIS and the Scout Portal Toolkit. Library Trends 53(4): 620-636.
- American Council on Learned Societies. 2005. Draft Report of the ACLS Commission on Cyberinfrastructure for Humanities and Social Sciences (November 24, 2005). Available from http://www.acls.org/cyberinfrastructure/acls-ci-public.pdf.
- Arms, Carol R. 2003. Available and Useful: OAI at the Library of Congress. Library Hi Tech, 21(2): 129-139 [DOI:10.1108/07378830310491899] Available from http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/techdocs/libht2003.html#exploit
- Bailey, Charles W., Jr. 2005. Open Access Bibliography: Liberating Scholarly Literature with E-Prints and Open Access Journals. Washington DC: Association of Research Libraries. Available from http://www.digital-scholarship.com/.
- Bailey, Charles W., Jr. 2006. What Is Open Access? In Jacobs, Neil, ed. Open Access: Key Strategic, Technical and Economic Aspects. Oxford: Chandos Publishing. Preprint available from http://www.digital-scholarship.com/cwb/WhatIsOA.pdf
- Bailey-Hainer, Brenda and Richard Urban. 2004. The Colorado Digitization Program: A Collaboration Success Story. Library Hi Tech 22(3): 254-262.
- Bates, Mary Ellen. 2006. Tips Article: "Save Yourself! Free Resources for Organising, Maintaining and Sharing the Fruits of your Web Searches." Freepint Newsletter 202 (March 16). Available from http://www.freepint.com/issues/160306.htm.
- Berkman, Paul Arthur. 2004. Sustaining the National Science Digital Library. Project Kaleidoscope Newsletter, Vol. IV: What Works, What Matters, What Lasts. Available from http://www.pkal.org/documents/Vol4SustainingTheNSDL.cfm
- Bishoff, Liz and Nancy Allen. 2004. Business Planning for Cultural Heritage Institutions. Washington DC: Council on Library and Information Resources. Available from http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub124/contents.html/
- Blinco, Kerry et al. 2004. Trends and Issues in E-Learning Infrastructure Development. A White Paper for alt-i-lab 2004. Prepared on behalf of DEST (Australia) and JISC-CETIS (UK). Version 2, July 19, 2004. Available from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/uploaded_documents/Altilab04-infrastructureV2.pdf
- Blinco, Kerry and McLean. 2004. A 'Cosmic' View of Repositories Space: Wheel of Fortune. University of Southern Queensland Available from http://www.rubric.edu.au/extrafiles/wheel/
- Blinco, Kerry. 2006. The JISC-DEST Framework: Integrating Everything. PowerPoint presentation at Open Repositories, Sydney, Australia (February 2, 2006). Available from http://www.apsr.edu.au/Open_Repositories_2006/conference_program.htm#thursday
- Bloomberg, Jason. 2006. SOA Governance and the Butterfly Effect. Zapthink.com. (January 24). Available from http://www.zapthink.com/report.html?id=ZAPFLASH-2006124.
- Brody, T., Harnad, S. and Carr, L. 2005. Earlier Web Usage Statistics as Predictors of Later Citation Impact. Journal of the American Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST) Eprint available from http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10713/.
- Brogan, Martha L. 2003. A Survey of Digital Library Aggregation Services. Washington DC: Digital Library Federation. Available from http://www.diglib.org/pubs/brogan/
- California Digital Library. 2004. National Science Digital Library: Focus Groups and Market Assessment, Final Report. Prepared by Alex Wright with others. (1 July 2004). Available from www.cdlib.org/inside/projects/metasearch/nsdl/nsdl_assessmentfindings.pdf
- Campbell, Debbie. 2005. The ARROW Discovery Service 'Public Funding, Public Knowledge, Public Access.' National Library of Australia Gateways 46 (August). Available from http://www.nla.gov.au/pub/gateways/archive/76/Campbell-ArrowProject.html
- Campbell, Debbie. 2004. How the Use of Standards Is Transforming Australian Digital Libraries. Ariadne 41 (October). Available from http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue41/campbell/intro.html
- Cervone, Frank H. 2004. The Repository Adventure. Library Journal. June 1 2004. Available from http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA421033.html
- Chan, Leslie. 2004. Supporting and Enhancing Scholarship in the Digital Age: The Role of Open-Access Institutional Repositories. Available from http://eprints.rclis.org/archive/00002590/01/Chan_CJC_IR.pdf (not copied?)
- Chan, Leslie, Barbara Kirsop and Subbiah Arunachalam. 2005. Open Access Archiving: The Fast Track to Building Research Capacity in Developing Countries. First published as part of the SciDev.Net Web Site. (November). Available from http://www.scidev.net/ms/openaccess/
- Chang, Amy et al. 2004. I Came, I Found It, I Used It, and It Made a Difference. BiosciEdNet (BEN). [n.p.]: American Society of Microbiology, 8 pp. Available from http://www.biosciednet.org/project_site/BEN_Survey_Article_October_2004.pdf
- Choudhury, Sayeed. 2006. A Technology Analysis of Repositories and Services. CNI Spring 2006 Task Force Meeting hand-out. Alexandria, Virginia, April 3-4 2006. Available from http://www.cni.org/tfms/2006a.spring/abstracts/Handouts/CNI_Results_Choudhury.doc. Project wiki accessible from https://wiki.library.jhu.edu/display/RepoAnalysis/ProjectRepository/.
- Christenson, Heather and Roy Tennant. 2005. Integrating Information Resources: Principles, Technologies, and Approaches. In partial fulfillment of National Science Foundation Award #0333710 (August 15). Available from http://www.cdlib.org/inside/projects/metasearch/nsdl/nsdl_report2.pdf
- Chudnov, Dan and Jeremy Frumkin. 2005. Digital Library Dialtone: Bootstrapping with Auto-discovery and Service Registries. PowerPoint presented at the DLF Fall Forum, Charlottesville, Virginia, November 7, 2005. Available from http://www.diglib.org/forums/fall2005/presentations/ockhambof1105_files/frame.htm
- Cole, Timothy W. and Sarah L. Shreeves. 2004. Search and Discovery across Collections: The IMLS Digital Collections and Content Project. Library Hi Tech 22(3): 307-322.
- Cole, Timothy W. 2005a. OAI-PMH Repositories: Quality Issues Regarding Metadata and Protocol Compliance: Part II Shareable Metadata. Presented at CERN Workshop on Innovations in Scholarly Communication (OAI4), Geneva, Switzerland, 20 October 2005. PowerPoint slides available from http://imlsdcc.grainger.uiuc.edu/OAI4_Tutorial_1_URLs.htm#shareable
- Cole, Timothy W. 2005b. Rationale for Interoperable Metadata. DLF Fall Forum, Charlottesville, Virginia, November 7-9, 2005. Available from http://www.diglib.org/forums/fall2005/presentations/cole1105.htm
- Cole, Timothy W. 2005. OAI-PMH repositories: quality issues regarding metadata and protocol compliance: Part II Shareable Metadata. Presented at CERN workshop on Innovations in Scholarly Communication (OAI4), Geneva, Switzerland, 20 October 2005. PowerPoint slides available from http://imlsdcc.grainger.uiuc.edu/OAI4_Tutorial_1_URLs.htm#shareable
- Cole, Timothy W. 2006. OAI-PMH in Practice: Lessons Learned from the IMLS Digital Collections & Content Project. Middle East Digital Library Workshop, Bibliotheca Alexandrina, 15-17 January 2006, Available from http://www.sis.pitt.edu/~egyptdlw/presentations.html
- Cole, Timothy W. and Thomas G. Habing. 2006. The University of Illinois OAI-PMH Data Provider Registry. Presentation at NSF/DLF/JISC/UKOLN Digital Library Service Registry Workshop. National Science Foundation, Arlington, Virginia, March 23, 2006. Available from http://gita.grainger.uiuc.edu/registry/Cole-OAIRegistry.ppt
- Coleman, Anita and Joseph Roback. 2005. Open Access Federation for Library and Information Science: dLIST and DL-Harvest. D-Lib Magazine. 11(12) (December 2005). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/december05/coleman/12coleman.html
- Coutts, Brian E. and Cheryl LaGuardia. 2006. Best Reference 2005. Library Journal (April 15). Available from http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6321696.html.
- Crane, Gregory. 2006. Featured Collection: The Perseus Digital Library. D-Lib Magazine, 12,3 (March). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march06/03featured-collection.html.doi:10.1045/march2006-featured.collection.
- Crow, Raym. 2002. The Case for Institutional Repositories: A SPARC Position Paper. Association of Research Libraries, Scholarly Publishing & Academic Resources Coalition. Available from http://www.arl.org/sparc/IR/ir.html.
- Custard, Myra and Tamara Sumner. 2005. Using Machine Learning to Support Quality Judgments. D-Lib Magazine, 11, 10 (October). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october05/custard/10custard.html.doi:10.1045/october2005-custard
- Davison, Stephen, Cynthia Requardt and Kristine Brancolini. 2003. A Specialized Open Archives Initiative Harvester for Sheet Music: A Project Report and Examination of Issues. Presented at ISMIR 2003, October 26-30. Available from http://ismir2003.ismir.net/papers/Davison.PDF
- Dempsey, Lorcan. Lorcan Dempsey's Weblog On Libraries, Services and Networks. Available from http://orweblog.oclc.org/.
- Dempsey, Lorcan. 2004. Libraries, Digital Libraries and Digital Library Research. PowerPoint presentation at the European Conference on Digital Libraries, University of Bath, September 12-17, 2004. Available from http://www.ecdl2004.org/presentations/dempsey/l-dempsey.ppt.
- Dempsey, Lorcan. 2005. The User Face that Isn't. May 15, 2005. Available from http://orweblog.oclc.org/archives/000667.html.
- Dempsey, Lorcan et al. 2004-05. Metadata Switch: Thinking About Some Metadata Management and Knowledge Organization Issues in the Changing Research and Learning Landscape. Forthcoming in LITA Guide to E-Scholarship (working title), ed. Debra Shapiro. Available from http://www.oclc.org/research/publications/archive/2004/dempsey-mslitaguide.pdf (PDF:824K/25pp.)
- Dewatripont, Mathias et al. 2006. Study on the Economic and Technical Evolution of the Scientific Publications Market in Europe. Final Report, commissioned by the Directorate-General of Research, European Commission (January). Available from http://ec.europa.eu/research/science-society/pdf/scientific-publication-study_en.pdf.
- Diekema, Amy and Holly Devaul. 2006. Computer Assisted Standard and Alignment. Audio PowerPoint presentation at NSDL Tool Time, March 16, 2006. Archived video playback available from http://commserv.comm.nsdl.org/tooltime/2006-03-16/lib/playback.html.
- Digital Library Federation. 2005. The Distributed Library: OAI for Digital Library Aggregation. OAI Scholars Advisory Panel Meeting, Washington DC, June 20-21, 2005. Available from http://www.diglib.org/architectures/oai/imls2004/OAISAP05.htm.
- Digital Library Federation. DLF Aquifer Services Working Group. 2006. DLF-Aquifer Services Institutional Survey Report. (March 9). Available from http://www.diglib.org/aquifer/SWGisrfinal.pdf
- Digital Library Federation and the National Science Digital Library. OAI and Shareable Metadata Best Practices Working Group. 2005. OAI Best Practices. Available from http://oai-best.comm.nsdl.org/
Best Practices for OAI Data Provider Implementations. Available from http://oai-best.comm.nsdl.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DataProviderPractices
Best Practices for Shareable Metadata http://oai-best.comm.nsdl.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PublicTOC
- Dine, Brooke. 2004. PubMed Central. PowerPoint presentation given at the Medical Library Association Conference, May 2004. Available from: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/techbull/ja04/theater_ppt/pmc.ppt.
- Dobratz, Susanne and Astrid Schoger. 2005. Digital Repository Certification: A Report from Germany. RLG DigiNews 15, 9 (October). Available from http://www.rlg.org/en/page.php?Page_ID=20793#article3
- Dominguez, Magaly Báscones. 2005. Applying Usage Statistics to the CERN E-journals Collection: a Step Forward, High Energy Physics Libraries Webzine High Energy Physics Libraries Webzine, 11 (August). Available from http://library.cern.ch/HEPLW/11/papers/4/ .
- Dunsire, Gordon. 2005. Harvesting Institutional Resources in Scotland Testbed (HaIRST). Final Report. Available from http://hairst.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/documents/HaIRST-FAIR-FP.pdf
- Fabos, Bettina., ed. 2005. The Commercialized Web: Challenges for Libraries and Democracy. Library Trends 53(4): 519-698.
- Foster, Nancy Fried and Susan Gibbons. 2005. Understanding Faculty to Improve Content Recruitment for Institutional Repositories. D-Lib Magazine 11(1) (January). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january05/foster/01foster.html.
- Foulonneau, Muriel. CIC Metadata Portal: Project Status. PowerPoint presented at the Big Ten Center, Chicago, December 12, 2005.
- Foulonneau, Muriel and Timothy W. Cole. 2004. CIC-OAI Project Recommendations for Dublin Core Metadata Providers," Version 1.0 (06/18/2004). University of Illinois. Available from http://cicharvest.grainger.uiuc.edu/dcguidelines.asp.
- Foulonneau, Muriel et al. 2005. Using Collection Descriptions to Enhance an Aggregation of Harvested Item-Level Metadata. PowerPoint presented at JCDL, June 2005. Available from http://cicharvest.grainger.uiuc.edu/presentations/jcdl.ppt
- Foulonneau, Muriel et al. 2006. The CIC Metadata Portal: A Collaborative Effort in the Area of Digital Libraries. Forthcoming in Sci Tech Lib. 2006. Preprint available from http://cicharvest.grainger.uiuc.edu/documents/PreprintCIC-OAI-ScienceTechnologyLibraries.pdf
- Frumkin, Jeremy. 2006a. The Need for A Digital Library Service Registry. OCLC Systems & Services; International Digital Library Perspective 22(1): 23-25.
- Frumkin, Jeremy. 2006b. Registry Use Cases. Developed for the Digital Library Service Registry Workshop, co-sponsored by DLF and JISC, March 22-23, 2006, Washington DC. Available from http://wiki.library.oregonstate.edu/confluence/display/DLSRW/RegistryUseCases/.
- Gargiulo, Paola, Susanna Mornati, Ugo Contino, and Zeno Tajoli. 2005a. PLEIADI, A Portal Solution for Scholarly Literature. In Dobreva, Milena and Engelen, Jan, Eds. Proceedings ELPUB2005. From Author to Reader: Challenges for the Digital Content Chain: Proceedings of the 9th ICCC International Conference on Electronic Publishing. Leuven-Heverlee (Belgium). (May 2005): 277-281. Available from http://eprints.rclis.org/archive/00004442/
- Gargiulo, Paola, Susanna Mornati, Ugo Contino, and Zeno Tajoli. 2005b. A User-Centred Portal for Search and Retrieval of Open-Access Italian Scholarly Literature: The PLEIADI Project. In Proceedings Open Culture : Accessing and Sharing Knowledge, Milano (Italy). (June 2005). Available from http://eprints.rclis.org/archive/00004403/01/Pleiadi_AICA2005_rev.pdf
- Gentil-Beccot, Anne. 2006. 2005, the Year CERN Ran for Open Access. High Energy Physics Libraries Webzine, 12 (February). Available from http://library.cern.ch/HEPLW/12/papers/3/
- Ghosh, S. B. 2006. Open Access and Institutional Repositories - A Developing Country Perspective: A Case Study of India. Preprint for World Library and Information Congress: 72nd IFLA General Conference and Council 20-24 August 2006, Seoul, Korea. Available from http://www.ifla.org/IV/ifla72/papers/157-Ghosh_Das-en.pdf.
- Giersch, Sarah et al. 2004. If You Build It, Will They Come? Participant Involvement in Digital Libraries. D-Lib Magazine 10, 7/8 (July/August). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july04/giersch/07giersch.html.
- Goldenberg-Hart, Diane. 2004. Libraries and Changing Research Practices: A Report of the ARL/CNI Forum on E-Research and Cyberinfrastructure. ARL Bimonthly Report, 237 (December). Available from http://www.arl.org/newsltr/237/cyberinfra.html.
- Gonçalves, Marcos André et al. 2004. Streams, Structures, Spaces, Scenarios, Societies (5S): A Formal Model for Digital Libraries. ACM Transactions on Information Systems 22(2) (April): 270-312.
- Giustini, Dean and Eugene Barsky. 2005. A Look at Google Scholar, PubMed, and Scirus: Comparisons and recommendations. JCHLA/JABSC 26: 85-89. Available from: http://www.slais.ubc.ca/courses/libr538f/04-05-wt2/giustini_barsky.pdf
- Gray, Cindy et al. 2005. The Online ETD Tutorial: Supporting Students' Transition from Traditional to ETD. Presentation at the NDLTD annual conference, Australia 2005. Available from http://adt.caul.edu.au/etd2005/papers/065Gray.pdf.
- Guenther, Rebecca. 2005. Rich Descriptive Metadata in XML: MODS as a Metadata Scheme. Presentation at "MODS, MARC and Metadata Interoperability," at ALA Annual 2005. Available from http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/presentations/ala2005-mods_files/frame.htm
- Habing, Tom. 2005. UIUC's Role: Registry of OAI Data Providers. PowerPoint presented at the DLF Fall Forum, Charlottesville, Virginia, November 8, 2005. Available from http://www.diglib.org/forums/fall2005/presentations/habing-oaigrant1105_files/frame.htm
- Habing, Thomas G., Timothy W. Cole, and William H. Mischo. 2004. Developing a Technical Registry of OAI Data Providers. Presented at the ECDL 2005 conference, University of Bath, England, September 15, 2004. Available as a Post-print from Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag from http://gita.grainger.uiuc.edu/registry/thabing_ecdl2004.doc
- Hagedorn, Kat. 2005a. IMLS Grant: University of Michigan's Role. PowerPoint presented at the DLF Fall Forum, Charlottesville, Virginia, November 8, 2005. Available from http://www.diglib.org/forums/fall2005/presentations/hagedorn-oaigrant1105_files/frame.htm
- Hagedorn, Kat. 2005b. And Now for Something Completely Different. . . Informal Collaboration. University of Michigan School of Information Internet Public Library (IPL) Class, 28 November 2005, Ann Arbor, MI. Available from http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/o/oaister/IPL05_Hagedorn.ppt
- Halbert, Martin. 2003. Findings from the Metascholar Projects: AmericanSouth and MetaArchive. Proceedings of the Workshop on Applications of Metadata Harvesting in Scholarly Portals. Atlanta: MetaScholar Initiative at Emory University, October 24, 2003. Available from http://www.metascholar.org/pdfs/MetaScholarFindingsProceedings.pdf.
- Halbert, Martin. 2005. DLF IMLS OAI Best Practices Project: Training Component. PowerPoint presented at the DLF Fall Forum, Charlottesville, Virginia, November 8, 2005. Available from http://www.diglib.org/forums/fall2005/presentations/halbert-oaigrant1105_files/frame.htm
- Hanson, Katherine and Bethany Carlson. 2005. Effective Access: Teachers' Use of Digital Resources in STEM Teaching. Gender, Diversities, and Technology Institute, Education Development Center, Inc. Available from http://www2.edc.org/gdi/publications_SR/EffectiveAccessReport.pdf.
- Hardy, Rachel et al. 2005. Open Access Citation Information. Final Report - Extended Version. JISC Scholarly Communications Group. (September), 105 p. Download PDF from JISC Scholarly Communications Group site, available from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/index.cfm?name=jcie_scg.
- Harley, Diane et al. 2006. Use and Users of Digital Resources: A Focus on Undergraduate Education in the Humanities and Social Sciences. Center for Studies of Higher Education, University of California, Berkeley (April). Available from http://cshe.berkeley.edu/research/digitalresourcestudy/
- Harnad, Stevan et al. 2003. Mandated Online RAE CVs Linked to University Eprint Archives: Enhancing UK Research Impact and Assessment. Ariadne 35 (April). Available from http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue35/harnad/
- Harnad, S. & Brody, T. 2004. Comparing the Impact of Open Access (OA) vs. Non-OA Articles in the Same Journals. D-Lib Magazine 10(6) (June). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/june04/harnad/06harnad.html
- Harnad, S., Brody, T., Vallieres, F., Carr, L., Hitchcock, S., Gingras, Y, Oppenheim, C., Stamerjohanns, H., & Hilf, E. 2004. The Access/Impact Problem and the Green and Gold Roads to Open Access. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.serrev.2004.09.013. Serials Review 30(4). http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/10209/01/impact.html#bib15
- Healey, Michael. 2000. An Analytical Model of Collections and Their Catalogues. A study carried out on behalf of UKOLN. Oxford. Available from http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/rslp/model/amcc-v31.pdf.
- Healey, Michael 2005. Users and Information Resources: An Extension of the Analytical Model of Collections and Their Catalogues into Usage and Transactions. A study carried out on behalf of UKOLN. Oxford, 2nd rev. issue, July-November 2005. Available from http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/cd-focus/model-ext/CD2-principles-v2-2.pdf.
- Heery, Rachel and Sheila Anderson. 2005. Digital Repositories Review. UKOLN, AHDS. (February 19). Available from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/uploaded_documents/digital-repositories-review-2005.pdf.
- Heery, Rachel and Andy Powell. 2006. Digital Repositories Roadmap: Looking Forward. UKOLN, Eduserv Foundation. (April). Available from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/uploaded_documents/rep-roadmap-v15.doc
- Hey, Tony et al. 2006. Augmenting Interoperability Across Scholarly Repositories. JCDL Panel Abstract, June 11-15, 2006, Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Available from http://msc.mellon.org/Meetings/Interop/follow-up/jcdlpanel_abstract.pdf
- Hiom, Debra. 2006. Retrospective on the RDN. Ariadne 47 (April). Available from http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue47/hiom/intro.html.
- Hitchcock, Stephen. [September 15, 2004 - present]. The Effect of Open Access and Downloads ('Hits') on Citation Impact: A Bibliography of Studies. OpCit Project. Available from http://opcit.eprints.org/oacitation-biblio.html.
- Hodgson, Cynthia, Andrew Pace, and Jenny Walker. 2006. NISO Metasearch Initiative Targets Next Generation of Standards and Best Practices. Against the Grain 18(1) (February): 79-82. Available from http://www.niso.org/pdfs/ReprintNISOv18-1.pdf.
- Hubbard, William. 2005. "OpenDOAR The Directory of Open Access Repositories." Presented at OAI4. Available from http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/documents/OAI4OpenDOAR_pub.ppt
- Hughes, Baden. 2004. Metadata Quality Evaluation: Experience from the Open Language Archives Community. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 3334: 320-329. Available from http://eprints.unimelb.edu.au/archive/00001408/
- Hughes, Baden and Amol Kamat, 2005. A Metadata Search Engine for Digital Language Archives. DLib Magazine 11(2), (February). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/february05/hughes/02hughes.html.
- Hunter, Philip. 2005. OAI and OAI-PMH for Absolute Beginners: a Non-Technical Introduction. PowerPoint presentation at the CERN workshop on Innovations in Scholarly Communication (OAI4) (Geneva, October 20-22, 2005). Self-archived January 30, 2006. Available from http://eprints.rclis.org/archive/00005512/.
- Hutchings, Paul and Ilana Levin. 2006. NIH Author Postings: A Study to Assess Understandings of, and Compliance with, NIH Public Access Policy. Conducted on behalf of the Publishing Research Consortium (February). Available from http://www.alpsp.org/news/NIH_authorpostings_report.pdf
- Jacobs, Neil. 2006a. International Workshop on E-Theses. Ariadne 46 (February). Available from http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue46/e-theses-rpt/
- Jacobs, Neil, ed. 2006b. Open Access: Key Strategic, Technical and Economic Aspects. Oxford, England: Chandos Publishing.
- Jacsó, Péter. 1993. A Proposal for Database "Nutrition and Ingredient" Labeling. Guest Editorial, "The Linear File," Database (February): 7-9.
- Jacsó, Péter. 2004. CiteBaseSearch, Institute of Physics Archive, and Google's Scholarly Archive. "Péter's Picks and Pans."Online28, 5 (Sept/Oct): 57-60. Available from http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jacso/.
- Jacsó, Péter. 2005a. CiteSeer. Péter's Digital Reference Shelf. GaleNet (November). Available from http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jacso/.
- Jacsó, Péter. 2005b. Visualizing Overlap and Rank Differences Among Web-wide Search Engines: Some Free Tools and Services. Online Information Review 29 (5): 554-60.
- Jacsó, Péter. 2006. The Oxford Journals Collection. Péter's Digital Reference Shelf. Galenet (April). Available from http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jacso/.
- Jin, Hai. . ChinaGrid Overview. Available from http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/apcity/unpan016934.pdf
- Jones, Paul. 2005. Strategies and Technologies of Sharing in Contributor-Run Archives. Library Trends 53(4): 651-662.
- Jones, Richard. 2004. The Tapir: Adding E-Theses Functionality to DSpace. Ariadne 41 (October). Available from http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue41/jones/.
- Jones, Richard, et al. 2006. The Institutional Repository. Oxford, England: Chandos Publishing.
- Kastens, K. 2005. The DLESE Community Review System: Gathering, Aggregating, and Disseminating User Feedback about the Effectiveness of Web-based Educational Resources. Journal of Geoscience Education 53: 37-43. Available from http://www.nagt.org/files/nagt/jge/abstracts/Kastens_v53n1.pdf
- Kastens, Kim et al. 2005. Questions & Challenges Arising in Building the Collection of a Digital Library for Education: Lessons from Five Years of DLESE. D-Lib 11(11). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november05/kastens/11kastens.html
- Kastens, Kim A. and Neil Holzman. 2006. The Digital Library for Earth System Education Provides Individualized Reports for Teachers on the Effectiveness of Educational Resources in Their Own Classrooms. D-Lib 12, 1 (January 2006). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january06/kastens/01kastens.html.
- Khan, Haseebulla M., Kurt Maly and Mohammad Zubair. 2005. Similarity and Duplicate Detection System for an OAI Compliant Federated Digital Library. Proceedings of the 9th European Conference, ECDL 2005, Vienna, Austria, September 18-23, 2005. in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, "Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries," vol. 2652: 531-532.
- Kelly, Brian, Amanda Closier, and Debra Hiom. 2005. Gateway Standardization: A Quality Assurance Framework for Metadata. Library Trends 53(4): 637-650.
- Kennan, Mary Anne et al. 2005. ADT ProQuest Collaboration: A Case Study of a Library/Vendor Alliance. Available from http://adt.caul.edu.au/etd2005/papers/095Kennan.pdf.
- Koelling, Jill and Mark Shelstad. 2006. Collaborative Digitization Projects. PowerPoint presentation at the Midwest Archives Conference, April 27-29, 2006, Normal, Illinois. Available from http://www.cdpheritage.org/cdp/presentations/documents/CollaborativeDigitizationProgramsMAC06.pdf.
- Kott, Katherine et al. 2005. DLF Aquifer: Bringing Collections to Light. PowerPoint presented at the DLF Fall Forum, Charlottesville, Virginia on November 8, 2005. Available from http://www.diglib.org/forums/fall2005/presentations/aquifer1105_files/frame.htm
- Kott, Katherine et al. 2006. DLF Aquifer: Phase 1 Accomplishments. PowerPoint presented at the DLF Spring Forum Austin, Texas on April 11, 2006. Available from http://www.diglib.org/forums/spring2006/presentations/aquifer0406_files/frame.htm
- Kraan, Wilbert and Jon Mason. 2005. Issues in Federating Repositories: Report on the First International CORDRATM Workshop. D-Lib Magazine 11,3 (March), Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march05/kraan/03kraan.html.
- Lagoze, Carl et al. 2002. "The Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata harvesting, Version 2.0." (June). Available from http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/openarchivesprotocol.htm
- Lagoze, Carl et al. 2005. What Is a Digital Library Anymore, Anyway? Beyond Search and Access in the NSDL. D-Lib Magazine 11,11 (November). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november05/lagoze/11lagoze.html#n3
- Lagoze, Carl et al. 2006a. Metadata Aggregation and "Automated Digital Libraries": A Retrospective on the NSDL Experience. Submission to JCDL. Preprint available from http://www.arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0601/0601125.pdf.
- Lagoze, Carl et al. 2006b. Representing Contextualized Information in the NSDL. Preprint available from http://www.arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0603/0603024.pdf .
- LaGuardia, Cheryl. 2006. ResearchNow. Library Journal (February 1). Available from http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6299837.html.
- Landis, Bill. 2005. Collaborative Metadata Aggregations: CDL's American West Experience + A Whole Lot of Unanswered Questions. PowerPoint presented at the DLF Fall Forum, Charlottesville, Virginia, November 8, 2005. Available from http://www.diglib.org/forums/fall2005/presentations/landis1105_files/frame.htm.
- Landis, Bill. 2006. Go Fish! Experiments with Topical Metadata Enhancement in the American West Project. DLF Spring Forum, Austin, Texas (April 11). Available from http://www.diglib.org/forums/spring2006/presentations/landis0406_files/frame.htm.
- Lavoie Brian, Lorcan Dempsey, and Lynn Silipigni Connaway. 2006. Making Data Work Harder. Library Journal. (January 15).Available from http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6298444.html
- Liu, Xiaoming et al. 2005. Lessons Learned with Arc, an OAI-PHM Service Provider. Library Trends. 53(4): 590-603.
- Lossau, Norbert. 2006. Existing Infrastructures to Bring Cultural Heritage Online, and New Needs For Such Infrastructures. Presentation at "Open Access to Cultural Heritage," Golm/Potsdam, Germany, 29 March 2006. Available from http://berlin4.aei.mpg.de/presentations/Lossau_OA06.pdf.
- Lutz, Marilyn. 2005. Featured Collection: The Maine Music Box. D-Lib Magazine. 11, 3 (March). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march05/03featured-collection.html.
- Lynch, Clifford A. 2003. Institutional Repositories: Essential Infrastructure for Scholarship in the Digital Age. ARL Bimonthly Report, 226 (February): 1-7. Available from http://www.arl.org/newsltr/226/ir.html.
- Lynch, Clifford A. and Joan K. Lippincott. 2005. Institutional Repository Deployments in the United States as of Early 2005. D-Lib Magazine 11, 9 (September). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september05/lynch/09lynch.html.
- Lyon, Liz and Simon Coles. 2004. eBank UK: Linking Research Data, Scholarly Communication and Learning. Presentation at All Hands Meeting: eScience Broadening the Horizon, Nottingham, England sponsored by the National eScience Centre, September 2, 2004. Available from http://www.nesc.ac.uk/events/ahm2004/presentations/237.ppt.
- MacLeod, Roddy and Malcolm Moffat. 2005. Engineering Digital Repositories Landscape Analysis, and Implications for PerX. Version 1.0 (10/11/05). Available from http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/perx/analysis.htm.
- Marlino, M. R., T. R. Sumner, and M. J. Wright, 2004. Geoscience Education and Cyberinfrastructure. Report of a workshop sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF), April 19-20. Boulder: Digital Library for Earth System Education (DLESE) Program Center; University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR), 43p. Available from http://www.dlese.org/documents/reports/GeoEd-CI.html
- Marmor, Max. 2006. Six Lessons Learned: An (Early) ARTstor Retrospective. RLG DigiNews 10, 2 (April). Available from http://www.rlg.org/en/page.php?Page_ID=20916#article0.
- McCown, Frank, Johan Bollen and Michael L. Nelson. 2005. Evaluation of the NSDL and Google for Obtaining Pedagogical Resources. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3652, 344-355.
- McCown, Frank, Xiaoming Liu, Michael L. Nelson, Mohammad Zubair. 2005. Search Engine Coverage of the OAI-PMH Corpus. IEEE Internet Computing LA-UR-04-9158. Available from http://library.lanl.gov/cgi-bin/getfile?LA-UR-05-9158.pdf.
- McGann, Jerome. 2005. Like Living on the Nile. IVANHOE, A User's Manual. Literature Compass 2, VI 149 (2005): 1-27.
- McGann, Jerome and Bethany Nowviskie. 2005. NINES: A Federated Model for Integrating Digital Scholarship. White Paper (September):1-40. Available from http://www.nines.org/about/9swhitepaper.pdf.
- McKiernan, G. 2005. E-profile: Scirus: For Scientific Information Only. Library Hi Tech News, 22,3 (Mar):18-25.
- McLean, Neil. 2004. The Ecology of Repository Services: A Cosmic View. PowerPoint presentation at ECDL (European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries), University of Bath, September 12-17, 2004. Available from http://www.ecdl2004.org/presentations/mclean/.
- McLean, Neil and Clifford Lynch. 2004. Interoperability between Library Information Services and Learning Environments - Bridging the Gaps. A Joint White Paper on behalf of the IMS Global Learning Consortium and the Coalition of Networked Information. (May 10). Available from http://www.imsglobal.org/digitalrepositories/CNIandIMS_2004.pdf.
- Mimno, David, Gregory Crane and Alison Jones. 2005. Hierarchical Catalog Records: Implementing a FRBR Catalog. D-Lib Magazine, 11,10 (October). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october05/crane/10crane.html.doi:10.1045/october2005-crane.
- Mitchell, Steven. 2005. Collaboration Enabling Internet Resource Collection-Building Software and Technologies. Library Trends 53(4): 604-619.
- Mitchell, Steven. 2006. Automated Metadata Generation and New Resource Discovery Software and Services. PowerPoint Presentation at IMLS Webwise 2006. Available from http://datafountains.ucr.edu/IMLS2006presentation.ppt
- Mitchell, Steven, Julie Mason and Lori Pender. 2004. Enabling Technologies and Service Designs for Collaborative Internet Collection Building. Library Hi Tech 22, 3: 295-306.
- Moffat, M. 2006. 'Marketing' with Metadata - How Metadata Can Increase Exposure and Visibility of Online Content. PerX project, Version 1.0 8th March 2006. Available from http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/perx/advocacy/exposingmetadata.htm#nine.
- NASA. Scientific & Technical Information Program Office. 2005. Persistent Unique Identifiers Being Added to NASA STI. STI Bulletin Online. (July). Available from http://www.sti.nasa.gov/Pubs/Bulletin/05julypub/05julypub.pdf
- NASA. Scientific & Technical Information Program Office. 2006. Richer Search Experience Coming for NASA STI Public Collection. STI Bulletin Online. (January). Available from http://www.sti.nasa.gov/Pubs/Bulletin/06janpub/06janpub.pdf
- National Information Standards Organization. 2004. A Framework of Guidance for Building Good Digital Collections. 2nd edition. Available from http://www.niso.org/framework/Framework2.html.
- National Institutes of Health. Department of Health and Human Services. 2006. Report on the NIH Public Access Policy. Submitted by Elias A. Zerhouni, Director, NIH, (January).
- National Science Foundation. NSF Cyberinfrastructure Council. 2006. Cyberinfrastructure Vision for 21st Century Discovery. Version 7.1. July 20, 2006. Available from http://www.nsf.gov/od/oci/ci-v7.pdf
- Nelson, Michael L. and Johan Bollen. 2005. "If You Harvest arXiv.org, Will They Come?" Fifth ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2005), June 7 - 11 (Denver, CO), p. 393. 1-58113-876-8/05/006.
- Nelson, Michael L., Johan Bollen, JoAnne Rocker and Calvin Mackey. 2004. User Evaluation of the NASA Technical Report Server Recommendation Service, Sixth ACM CIKM International Workshop on Web Information and Data Management (WIDM 2004), Washington D.C., USA, November 12-14, 2004. ACM 2004. Available from http://ntrs.nasa.gov/NTRSrecommendation1004.pdf
- Nelson, Michael L., JoAnne Rocker and Terry L. Harrison. OAI and NASA's Scientific and Technical Information. Library Hi Tech, 21 (2):140-150.
- Noruzi, Alireza. 2005. Google Scholar: The New Generation of Citation Indexes. Libri 55:170-180.
- Nowviskie, Bethany. 2005. COLLEX: Semantic Collections and Exhibits for the Remixable Web. (November). Available from http://www.nines.org/about/Nowviskie-Collex.pdf.
- OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc. 2005. Perceptions of Libraries and Information Resources. A Report to the OCLC Membership. Contributions by Cathy De Rosa et al. Dublin, Ohio: OCLC. Available from http://www.oclc.org/reports/2005perceptions.htm.
- OCLC/RLG PREMIS Working Group. 2004. Implementing Preservation Repositories for Digital Materials: Current Practice and Emerging Trends in the Cultural Heritage Community. Report by the joint OCLC/RLG Working Group Preservation Metadata: Implementation Strategies (PREMIS). Dublin, Ohio: OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc. Available from http://www.oclc.org/research/projects/pmwg/surveyreport.pdf
- Open Archives Initiative. 2002. Specification for an OAI Static Repository and an OAI Static Repository Gateway. Protocol Version 2.0 of 2002-06-14. Document Version 2004/04/23T15:17:00Z http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-static-repository.htm
- Paynter, G., 2005. Developing Practical Automatic Metadata Assignment and Evaluation Tools for Internet Resources. JCDL, Denver. Available from http://ivia.ucr.edu/projects/publications/Paynter-2005-JCDL-Metadata-Assignment.pdf.
- Peek, Robin. 2005. RCUK Free for All. Information Today. 22, 8 (September): 17-18.
- Pepe, Alberto, Jean-Yves Le Meur and Tibor Šimko. 2006. Dissemination of scientific results in High Energy Physics: the CERN Document Server vision. Presented at Computing in High Energy and Nuclear Physics (Mumbai, February 13-17, 2006). Available from http://indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access?contribId=216&sessionId=5&resId=0&materialId=paper&confId=048. Conference Web site http://www.tifr.res.in/%7Echep06/
- Petricek, Vaclav et al. 2005. A Comparison of On-Line Computer Science Citation Databases. ECDL 2005, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3653: 438-449. Available from http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/petricek05comparison.html
- Phipps, Jon, Diane Hillmann and Gordon Paynter. 2004. Orchestrating Metadata Enhancement Services: Introducing Lenny. http://www.arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0501/0501083.pdf.
- Plutchak, T. Scott. 2005. The Impact of Open Access. JMLA: Journal of the Medical Library Association. 93(4) October 2005: 419-421. Available from http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1250314
- Poe, Felicia with contributions from Jane Lee. 2005. American West Broad Topic Category Naming: Survey Findings & Recommendations. Prepared for the American West Project Team, (May). Available from http://www.cdlib.org/inside/assess/evaluation_activities/docs/2005/survey_May2005_report.pdf.
- Powell, Andy. 2005. A 'Services-Oriented' View of the JISC Information Environment. UKOLN, University of Bath. (November). Available from http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/distributed-systems/jisc-ie/arch/soa/jisc-ie-soa.pdf.
- Proudman, Vanessa. 2006. Nereus: One International Subject-based Repository Meeting Two Needs - Libraries and Researchers Collaborate. Delivered at 8th International Bielefeld Conference, Bielefeld (Germany). Available from http://conference.ub.uni-bielefeld.de/2006/docs/presentations/proudman_biconf06_final.ppt.
- Renda, M. Elena and Umberto Straccia. 2005. A Personalized Collaborative Digital Library Environment: a Model and an Application. Information Processing & Management. 41,1 (January): 5-21.
- RLG and NARA. 2005. An Audit Checklist for the Certification of Trusted Digital Repositories. Draft for Public Comment. Mountain View, CA: RLG, August 2005. Available from http://www.rlg.org/en/pdfs/rlgnara-repositorieschecklist.pdf.
- RLG and OCLC. 2002. Trusted Digital Repositories: Attributes and Responsibilities. Mountain View, CA: RLG, May 2002. Available from http://www.rlg.org/en/pdfs/repositories.pdf.
- Roosendaal, Hans and Peter Geurts. 1997. Forces and Functions in Scientific Communication: an Analysis of their Interplay. Cooperative Research Information Systems in Physics, August 31-September 4 1997, Oldenburg, Germany. Available from http://www.physik.uni-oldenburg.de/conferences/crisp97/roosendaal.html.
- Sadeh, Tamar. 2006. Google Scholar Versus Metasearch Systems. HEP Libraries Webzine 12 (March). Available from http://library.cern.ch/HEPLW/12/papers/1/#ref-02.
- Sale, Arthur. 2006. The Impact of Mandatory Policies on ETD Acquisition. D-Lib Magazine 12, 4 (April). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april06/sale/04sale.html.
- Seaman, David. 2005a. OAI For Digital Library Aggregation: An IMLS Grant-funded DLF Project. PowerPoint presented at the DLF Fall Forum, Charlottesville, Virginia, November 8, 2005. Available from http://www.diglib.org/forums/fall2005/presentations/cole1105.htm
- Seaman, David. 2005b. Podcast Interview at CNI 2005 Fall Task Force Meeting. Phoenix, Arizona http://connect.educause.edu/featured_content/mpasiewicz/an_interview_with_dlfs_executive_director_david_seaman/1712
- Sequeira E. 2005. PubMed Links to Author Manuscripts in PubMed Central. NLM Techical Bulletin, 345 (July-August): e3.
- Shadbolt, Nigel et al. 2006. The Open Research Web. In Jacobs, Neil, ed. Open Access: Key Strategic, Technical and Economic Aspects. Oxford: Chandos Publishing, 2006. Preprint available from http://www.arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0601/0601125.pdf.
- Shreeves, Sarah L. et al. 2005. Current Developments and Future Trends for the OAI Protocol for Metadata Harvesting. Library Trends 53(4): 576-589.
- Smith, MacKenzie. 2006. Transition to a Broader Participation: Experience from the DSpace Project. PowerPoint Presentation at Open Repositories conference, Sydney, Australia (February 3, 2006). Available from http://www.apsr.edu.au/Open_Repositories_2006/conference_program.htm#thursday
- Sparks, Sue. 2005. JISC Disciplinary Differences Report. London: Rightscom Ltd. Available from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/index.cfm?name=schol_comms_reports.
- Sreekumar, M.G. 2006. Open Access Landscaping in India: Building Institutional Repositories (IRs) Using 'DSpace.' PowerPoint Presentation at Open Repositories conference, Sydney, Australia (February 1, 2006). Available from http://www.apsr.edu.au/Open_Repositories_2006/conference_program.htm#wednesday.
- Straccia, Umberto and Costantino Thanos. 2004. An Open Collaborative Virtual Archive Environment. International Journal on Digital Libraries 4 (1): 23-24, DOI: 10.1007/s00799-003-0063-.
- Suber, Peter. Open Access News. Weblog available from http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html.
- Suber, Peter. The SPARC Open Access Newsletter. Available from http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/.
- Sumner, Tamara et al. 2004. A Web Service Interface for Creating Concept Browsing Interfaces. D-Lib Magazine 10, 11 (November). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november04/sumner/11sumner.html.
- Swan, Alma and Chris Awre. 2006. Linking UK Repositories: Technical and Organisational Models to Support User-Oriented Services Across Institutional and Other Digital Repositories. Scoping Study Report. (June). Available from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/uploaded_documents/Linking_UK_repositories_report.pdf
- Swan, Alma et al. 2005. Developing a Model for E-prints and Open Access Journal Content in UK Further and Higher Education. Learned Publishing 18, 1: 25-40. Available from http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/11000/
- Swan, Alma and Sheridan Brown. 2004a. Authors and Open Access Publishing. Learned Publishing 17(3) 219-224. http://cogprints.org/4123/
- Swan, Alma and Sheridan Brown. 2004b. JISC/OSI Journal Authors Survey Report. http://cogprints.org/4125/
- Swan, Alma and Sheridan Brown. 2005. Open Access Self-Archiving: An Author Study. Key Perspectives Ltd. Technical Report, Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC), UK FE and HE Funding Councils. (May). Available from http://cogprints.org/4385/ or http://www.keyperspectives.com
- Tansley, Robert. 2006. The China Digital Museum Project. PowerPoint presentation at Open Repositories conference, Sydney, Australia (January 31, 2006). Available from http://www.apsr.edu.au/Open_Repositories_2006/conference_program.htm#tuesday
- Teng, Xia et al. 2005. Best Practices in the Design, Development and Use of Courseware in Engineering Education. Presented at the 25th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, October 19-22, 2005 in Indianapolis, Indiana, Session T1A-1. Available from http://www.needs.org/smete/public/about_smete/publications/FIE05/FIE_bestpractice_15.pdf
- Tennant, Roy. [n.d.] Specifications for Metadata Processing Tools. California Digital Library. Available from http://www.cdlib.org/inside/projects/harvesting/metadata_tools.htm.
- Tennant, Roy. [2004a] Bitter Harvest: Problems & Suggested Solutions for OAI-PMH Data & Service Providers. California Digital Library. Available from http://www.cdlib.org/inside/projects/harvesting/bitter_harvest.html.
- Tennant, Roy. 2004b. A Bibliographic Metadata Infrastructure for the 21st Century. Library Hi Tech 22, 2: 175-181, Available from http://roytennant.com/metadata.pdf .
- Turner, Chris. 2004. Cornucopia: An Open Collection Description Service. Ariadne 40 (July). Available from http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue40/turner/
- Turner, Chris. 2005. Cornucopia. UKOLN Collection Description Focus. Case Study 4, January 2005. Available from http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/cd-focus/case-studies/cdf-casestudy4-cornucopia.pdf
- United Kingdom. HM Treasury. 2006. Science and Innovation Investment Framework 2004-2014: Next Steps. (March). Available from http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/1E1/5E/bud06_science_332.pdf.
- University Library Regensburg. 2006. Electronic Journals Library: Annual Report 2005. Regensburg: Germany, April 2006. Available from http://rzblx1.uni-regensburg.de/ezeit/anwender/Jahresbericht_EZB_2005_engl.pdf.
- University of California Libraries. Bibliographic Services Task Force. 2005. Final Report: Rethinking How We Provide Bibliographic Services for the University of California. Final Report: December 2005. Available from http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/sopag/BSTF/Final.pdf.
- Van de Sompel, Herbert et al. 2004. Rethinking Scholarly Communication: Building the System that Scholars Deserve. D-Lib Magazine (September). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september04/vandesompel/09vandesompel.html
- Van de Sompel, Herbert et al. 2005. aDORe: A Modular, Standards-Based Digital Object Repository The Computer Journal, 48 (5): 514 - 535. doi:10.1093/comjnl/bxh114.
- van Westrienen, Gerard. 2005. Completed Questionnaires: Country Update on Academic Institutional Repositories. Making the Strategic Case for Institutional Repositories, CNI-JISC-SURF Conference; Amsterdam, 10-11 May 2005. (August). Available from http://www.surf.nl/download/country-update2005.pdf.
- van Westrienen, Gerard and Clifford A. Lynch. 2005. Academic Institutional Repositories: Deployment Status in 13 Nations as of Mid 2005. D-Lib Magazine 11, 9 (September). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september05/westrienen/09westrienen.html.
- van Veen, Theo and Bill Oldroyd. 2004. Search and Retrieval in The European Library: A New Approach. D-Lib Magazine 10, 2 (February). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/february04/vanveen/02vanveen.html
- Vise, David A. 2005. World Digital Library Planned: Library of Congress Envisions Collection to Bridge Cultures. The Washington Post. (November 22): A27. Available from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/21/AR2005112101428.html.
- Warner, Simeon. 2005. The arXiv: Fourteen Years of Open Access Scientific Communication. In M. Halbert, ed. Free Culture and the Digital Library Symposium Proceedings. Atlanta: MetaScholar Initiative at Emory University, October 14, 2005, 56-68.
- Warner, Simeon and Michael Nelson. 2003. Report on the Metadata Harvesting Workshop at JCDL 2003. ACM SIGIR Forum, 37,2 (Fall).
- Walters, William H. 2006. Institutional Journal Costs in an Open Access Environment. Helen A. Gaser Library, Millersville University, Millersville, PA. Available from http://www.library.millersville.edu/public_html/walters/journal_costs.pdf.
- Waters, Donald. 2001. The Metadata Harvesting Initiative of the Mellon Foundation. ARL Bimonthly Report 217 (August). Available from http://www.arl.org/newsltr/217/waters.html
- Weatherley, J. 2005. A Web Service Framework for Embedding Discovery Services in Distributed Library Interfaces. In Proceedings of the 5th ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (Denver, CO, USA, June 07 - 11, 2005). JCDL '05. ACM Press, New York, NY, 42-43. DOI= http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1065385.1065394
- Whitney, Colleen and Peter Brantley. 2006. Project Briefing: The Melvyl Recommender Project. PowerPoint Presentation at CNI Spring 2006 Task Force Meeting. Arlington, Virginia, April 3-4, 2006. Available from http://www.cni.org/tfms/2006a.spring/abstracts/PB-whitney-melvyl.html.
- Willinsky, John. 2006. The Access Principle: The Case of Open Access to Research and Scholarship. Cambridge, Massachusetts and London: The MIT Press.
- Wright, Michael. 2004. GEON and DLESE: Building Educational CyberInfrastructure. PowerPoint Presentation from GEON NSF meeting. Available from http://www.geongrid.org/ahm/Wright_Final_2004.ppt.
- Yeomans, Joanne. 2006. CERN's Open Access E-print Coverage in 2006 : Three Quarters Full and Counting. High Energy Physics Libraries Webzine, 12, (March). Available from http://library.cern.ch/HEPLW/12/papers/2/
- Zia, Lee I. 2006. The NSF National Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Education Digital Library (NSDL) Program. D-LIb Magazine, 12, 3 (December). Available from http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march06/03inbrief.html.
- Zorich, Diane M. 2003. A Survey of Digital Cultural Heritage Initiatives and Their Sustainability Concerns. Washington DC: Council on Library and Information Resources, pub 118 (June). Available from http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub118abst.html.
Survey Respondents and Contacts
Alice M. AGOGINO
BiosciEdNet (BEN) Collaborative
IMLS Digital Collections & Content
NSDL: National Science Digital Library
Open Language Archives
ROAR: Registry of Open Access Repositories
Journal Policies-Self-archiving Policies of Journals
VTLS: NDLTD Union Catalog Search
NSDL: National Science Digital Library
Metasearch Infrastructure Project
California Digital Library
dL-Harvest: Digital Library of Information Science & Technology **
Sheet Music Consortium
NDLTD Catalog, OCLC
DLESE: Digital Library for Earth System Education
OhioLink Worldwide ETD Search
NSDL: National Science Digital Library
Sheet Music Consortium
CIC Metadata Portal
NDLTD: Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations
US States Implementing GILS**
Illinois State Library
ARL Scholars Portal*
CIC Metadata Portal
Grainger Engineering Library at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
IMLS Digital Collections and Content
UIUC Digital Gateway to Cultural Heritage Materials*
University of Illinois OAI-PMH Data Provider Registry
[not yet available]
NSDL: National Science Digital Library
Publisher Copyright Policies & Self-Archiving: SHERPA/RoMEO list
NSDL: National Science Digital Library
Perseus Digital Library
DOAJ: Directory of Open Access Journals
The American West
Jean-Yves LE MEUR
CDS: CERN Document Server***
Formerly ENC Online*
NTRS: NASA Technical Reports Server***
NDLTD: Networked Digital Library for Theses and Disserations
DLESE: Digital Library for Earth System Education
[not yet available]
Carol MINTON MORRIS
National Science Digital Library (NSDL)
American Memory and other OAI Collection
Library of Congress
John Mark OCKERBLOOM
The Online Books Page**
John M. SAYLOR
NSDL: National Science Digital Library
DLF Digital Collections Registry
DLF MODS Portal
[not yet available]
MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching)
NSDL: National Science Digital Library
Metasearch Infrastructure Project
California Digital Library
Public Knowledge Project**
*Service excluded from study in 2006. Refer to Appendix 3.
**Service excluded or only partially covered.
***Did not provide feedback on draft text.
Other Specialists and Projects Consulted
Johns Hopkins University
University of Hawaii
PRIMO, Ex Libris
Maine Music Box
Paul A. S. NEEDHAM
EZB: Elektronische Zeitschriftenbibliothek
Yale University Science Libraries
Donald J. WATERS
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
Indiana University, School of Informatics
2003 Services Excluded in 2006 Report
|AARLIN: the Australian Academic & Research Library Network
Goal: National Portal Framework
Status: Moved from project phase to an operating system and achieved its goals by December 2004. Continues as a priority with 12 member libraries deploying Ex Libris with Metalib and SFX modules.
Summary of achievements reported on 12/9/2004.
Strategic directions 2006-07 available from
Goal: Scholar-designed portal prototype service
Status: Since 2003 has grown from 18 to 31 contributing archives with combined records increasing from 28,775 to 55,371. "Lessons learned" put into practice in new Emory University and DLF projects (see Aquifer affiliated projects in this report, including The Southern Digital Archives Conspectus from Emory).
Documents from Emory's MetaScholar Initiative, including reports about the MetaArchive Project, AmericanSouth, MetaCombine, Music of the Social Change, and proceedings from the Workshop on Applications of Metadata Harvesting in Scholarly Portals: Findings from the MetaScholar Projects: AmericanSouth and MetaArchive (Halbert 2003) are available from http://www.metascholar.org/documents.html.
AmericanSouth Final Project Report submitted to The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, March 1, 2004: http://www.metascholar.org/pdfs/AmSouth-FINAL-REPORT.pdf
Used as basis for advanced visualization and semantic clustering R&D in the MetaCombine project.
MetaCombine Project Interim Report on experiments in combined searching, automated organization of OAI and Web resources, and new forms of scholarly communication, September 2004.
"SouthComb" Project will continue to develop the content, technologies, and practices developed in AmericanSourth.org. (Refer to section 4.4.8)
Goal: To build a DL that federates Physics collections with varying degrees of metadata richness.
Status: No survey response received.
Most recent presentation available at Web site from 2003 covers Archon's architecture, equation and formulae searching, reference linking, conclusions and future directions. It announces plans:
to make a separate service that can be plugged in or out which will make development changes easier and allow third party development of similar services
to modify reference resolution to be able to refer to documents whether inside or outside the digital library
to make this service context dependent using some of the technologies such as OpenURL to make the resolution dependent on the location and privileges of the user
to work on the secure management of user accounts and access privileges using Shibboleth architecture to enable different access levels depending on use groups such as students or faculty (Digital Library Group, Old Dominion University, ICNEE PPT, available from http://archon.cs.odu.edu/publications.html.
Archon is also discussed in "Lessons Learned with Arc, an OAI-PMH Service Provider" (Liu et al. 2005)
|ARL Scholars Portal Project
Goal: To provide software tools for an academic community to have a single point of access on the Web to find high-quality information resources and, to the greatest extent possible, to deliver the information and related services directly to the user's desktop.
Status: As of May 2004, the project became "self-managing" among participating institutions with functional implementations using Fretwell-Downing software (under 3-year contract) with campus-wide releases at Arizona State University, University of Arizona, Iowa State University, and the University of Utah, and limited releases at University of Southern California (USC), University of California - San Diego (UCSD), and Dartmouth College.
Scholars Portal Project Report, issued by ARL, May 10, 2004
See also "The Current State of Portal Applications in ARL Libraries" (Jackson 2004)
Goal: To develop an open collaborative virtual archive service environment supporting both single scholars as well as scholarly communities.
Status: CYCLADES was a R&D project in operation from 1 November 2000 to 31 August 2003,
supported by the IST Programme of the European Commission (project no. IST-2000-25456) and set up under the framework of the DELOS Network of Excellence on Digital Libraries. Refer to:
"An Open Collaborative Virtual Archive Environment" (Straccia and Thanos 2004)
"A Personalized Collaborative Digital Library Environment: A Model and an Application" (Renda and Straccia 2005)
|ENC Online: Eisenhower National Clearinghouse for Mathematics and Science Education
Goal: Online math and science K-12 resource center.
Status: ENC resources were available free-of-charge until its funding from the U.S. Department of Education funding terminated. Effective October 1, 2005, goENC.com switched to a subscription service at a cost of $349 per school.
Among the ENC projects discussed in the 2003 DLF report, the only post-ENC project still active is the NSDL Middle School Portal, (although previous relics from ENC still show in up in NSDL search results).
NSDL Middle School Portal with Pathways to Mathematics, Science and Technology is available from
|Flashpoint (Los Alamos National Laboratory)
Goal: Multi-database search tool for internal use at LANL.
Status: No survey response received. About LANL Research Library's new digital object repository architecture refer to: "aDORe: a Modular, Standards-based Digital Object Repository
" (Van de Sompel et al. 2005).
|UIUC Digital Gateway to Cultural Heritage Materials
Goal: OAI aggregator of cultural heritage metadata.
Status: Since 2003 number of collections grew from 25 to 31; records increased from 413,563 to 538,485. However, project is now static and under review for probable discontinuation in light of the new IMLS Digital Collections and Content project, discussed more fully in Section 4.4.2 of this report. "Lessons learned" put into practice in other UIUC & DLF projects.
Publications and presentations from UIUC's OAI metadata harvesting projects available from http://oai.grainger.uiuc.edu/presentations.htm
See also, "Current Developments and Future Trends for the OAI Protocol for Metadata Harvesting" (Shreeves et al. 2005)
IMLS Digital Collections and Content Project
Goal: One-time extract of 4.3 million bibliographic records from OCLC's WorldCat.
Status: Dormant. Arc continues to aggregate the entire set of records. OAIster continues to aggregate the 8,255 records that point to full text. The NDLTD Union Catalog includes a regular harvest of ETD metadata from OCLC's WorldCat, as discussed in Section 4.2.6.
Comparison of Top Twenty OAIster and ROAR Archives based on Record Count (March 11, 2006)
|RESOURCE Ranked by Size||OAIster Top Twenty||ROAR Top Twenty
National image aggregation
|CiteSeer Scientific Literature Digital Repository |
Aggregation of computer & information science documents with citation analysis.
|PubMed Central |
Digital archive of life sciences journal literature.
Semi-autonomous citation index that harvests scientific e-prints.
Physics e-print archive
|Pangaea: Publishing Network for Geoscientific and Environmental Data |
Archiving, publishing and distributing georeferenced datasets
|University of Michigan, Digital Library Production Service Collection |
Collection of texts and images primarily in the humanities.
|281,072||See Humanities Text Initiative below.
|Library of Congress Digitized Historical Collections |
Digitized manuscripts, photographs, rare books, maps, sound recordings and moving pictures.
|Networked Digital Library of Theses & Dissertations (NDLTD) OAI Union Catalog |
Aggregation of e-theses and dissertations
|Only harvests 8,255 records will full-text representation from OCLC's XTCat. |
http://alcme.oclc.org/xtcat/. Harvests ETDs from other sources.
|Institute of Physics |
Learned society aggregation of physics' journals.
|208,272||Not included; journals are restricted access.
|State Library of Victoria OAI Repository |
Digitized collection of manuscripts, photographs, and maps.
|California Digital Library |
Aggregated digital resources held in libraries, museums, archives, and other institutions across California
|174,097||Includes 10,900 records from the University of California eScholarship repository.
|Digital Academic Repository of the Universiteit van Amsterdam (UvA-DARE) |
|Includes only 2,145 records with full-text representation.||137,805
|CITIDEL: Computing and Information Technology Interactive Digital Educational Library |
Consortial digital library for computer and information technology education.
|RePEc: Research Papers in Economics |
|OSTI OAI Repository (U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Scientific & Technical Information) |
|Wageningen Yield (WaY) |
|Includes 5,938 records only with full-text representation.||119,846
|Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Occidente: Acervo General de la biblioteca |
| No links to full text.||119,606
|National Library of Australia Digital Object Repository |
Collections of manuscripts, sheet music, images and maps
|University of Southern California Digital Archive |
Aggregation of photographs, maps, manuscripts, records, texts and sound recordings owned by USC and collaborating institutions.
|Capturing Electronic Publications (CEP) Archive (University of Illinois) |
Web site harvesting and archiving system focusing on state documents currently used by Illinois, Alaska, Arizona, Montana, North Carolina, Utah, and Wisconsin
|98,238 (PDFs only)||Not included.
|The Wolfram Functions Site |
Collection of formulas and graphs of mathematical functions.
|National Institute of Informatics Metadata Database |
Aggregation of university scientific information resources.
|CERN Document Server |
Aggregation of e-prints, articles, photographs and other formats related to physics and Institutional Repository.
|Harvests 38,459 CERN-specific materials only with full-text representation.||74,986
|DIALNET: Servicio de Alertas y Hemeroteca Virtual de Sumarios de Revistas Cientificas Espanolas |
Alerting service with access to the contents of Hispanic scientific literature.
|Humanities Text Initiative, University of Michigan |
Digitized collection of e-texts in the humanities.
|See University of Michigan above.||58,632
|CCLRC ePublication Archive (Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils) |
Central repository of publications containing the scientific and technical output of CCLRC.
|Harvests 13,599 records only with full-text representation.||55,511
|SciELO: Public Health |
Online health science articles with integrated access for Ibero-American countries.
|HAL: Hyper Article en Ligne |
E-print server in France for all disciplines.
|University of Twente Repository |
|Demetrius Australia National University Institutional Repository |
|Max Planck Society Edoc Server |
Aggregated research output of the institutes of the Max Planck Society.
|Excluded because most identifiers do not link to digital objects but rather invoke SFX to find full text available through various proprietary online services.||39,944
|Gallica, bibliothèque numérique de la Bibliothèque nationale de France (National Library of France) |
Digitized collections, images and sound recordings.